What does Nyaope do to the body?
Nyaope is a street drug that is wreaking havoc in South Africa’s informal settlements, impoverished neighborhoods, and urban cores. It is inexpensive and physically addictive, which causes users to become dependent on it. Low-grade Heroin is the main component in Nyaope. It is usually a white or brown powder smoked with marijuana, or when the addiction worsens, it is injected intravenously.
Side effects of Nyaope
Users can experience severe withdrawals from using Nyaope, such as:
- Excessive yawning or sneezing
- Stomach cramps
- Muscle and bone cramps
The user remains dependent because of the discomfort and anxiety of withdrawal. Drowsiness and euphoria could persist for several hours after the first effects of bliss and relaxation. Heart rate and breathing rate are slowed, and mental clarity is obscured. Itching, sneezing, yawning, nausea, and vomiting are other side effects.
The majority of Nyaope users first try smoking it before switching to injecting it to get a stronger “high.” Long-term use of Nyaope can have serious and permanent effects.
The following are some effects of using Nyaope:
- Scaring from continued injecting
- Venous sclerosis
- Bacterial/Fungal endocarditis
- Overdose and death
Nyaope has catastrophic long-term effects on not just the addict but also on their family and communities. Anyone quitting Nyaope has to get expert support; after undergoing a medical detox, the addict requires aid to help them adjust to life without drugs.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more