What is Tik?
Tik is a highly addictive psychostimulant that is commonly used as a party drug, but because of its fast-acting, highly addictive nature, many people are finding themselves addicted to it. Tik is the street name for crystal methamphetamine. It is also known as ice, glass or meth. It resembles shiny rocks or crystals with a glass-like appearance. Over recent years there has been a sharp increase in its use resulting in many people becoming addicted to the drug. Tik is most commonly smoked using a glass pipe, it can be ingested, snorted or injected.
Tik has been around for a long time, it is a man-made stimulant that was given to soldiers during WW2 to keep them awake and alert. It has been used for weight loss and to ease depression, but currently there is no legal use for the drug. Crystal methamphetamine/tik produces a euphoric rush, it also creates a feeling of confidence and increased energy. Tik causes dopamine to flood the pleasure/reward centre of the brain. Users of the drug once hooked, chase the rush they felt in the beginning. Continued use also builds tolerance in the user which means they need to start taking more of the drug to get the same high.
Some of the signs of tik use are:
- Obsessively picking at hair or skin.
- Loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Dilated pupils and red eyes.
- Strange sleeping patterns — staying up for days or even weeks at a time.
- Jerky, erratic movements; twitching; facial tics; animated or exaggerated mannerisms; and constant talking.
- Borrowing money often, selling possessions, or stealing.
- Angry outbursts or mood swings.
- Psychotic behavior, such as paranoia and hallucinations.
There are serious consequences from using tik, and the long-term effects can be devastating. Someone who wants to come off crystal methamphetamine must seek professional help. The withdrawal from tik is psychological and the craving and need to use can be overwhelming.
If you or a loved one needs assistance with an addiction to tik – know that help is readily available. We have an experienced team which includes medical staff to assist with safe medical detox where necessary. The road to recovery is not always an easy one but getting yourself or your loved one the best possible care from the team at Crossroads Recovery Centre, provides you with a map to sober, healthy living. No matter how bad things seem, there is hope and it’s only a phone call away. If you or anyone close to you needs help with an addiction to sex, gambling, substances, alcohol or food, please contact us for a free assessment.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more