What are the physical symptoms of Tik?
What is Tik?
Methamphetamine is a synthetic psychostimulant, it can be injected, snorted or smoked. It is commonly referred to as Tik, Crystal, Ice and Glass, this is because it resembles glass/crystal shards. Tik is classed as a stimulant, it boosts the mood, increases alertness, and energy offering a feeling of euphoria. Crystal Meth has become a popular “party drug”, but because of its low cost and intense high, it creates a dependence which is leading to serious addiction issues.
The physical symptoms of Tik
The physical effects of Crystal Meth are:
- Loss of appetite resulting in weight loss
- Dilated pupils
- Accelerated heartbeat
- Rapid breathing
- Teeth grinding
- Dry skin
- Pale appearance
- Long-term users often suffer from sores on the face and Meth mouth. Poor dental hygiene, dry mouth and teeth grinding result in accelerated tooth decay and loss of teeth.
What does Tik do to the mind?
The psychological effects of Tik can be severe and long-lasting, some of the effects are:
- Repetitive obsessive behaviour and repetitive non-goal driven activity
- Magnetic resonance studies conducted on users of tik have shown evidence of neurodegeneration.
- Users of Methamphetamine experience toxic psychosis, a disconnect with reality, hallucinations, suspicion, delusions, and an inability to see the truth in front of them.
People who regularly use tik are at high risk of becoming addicted. The effects of long-term use can be devastating to the body and the mind. Some of these effects are not reversible.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more