- What is a drug addiction?
- Drug abuse is on the rise, not just in South Africa, but worldwide. Drug addiction does not discriminate, affecting people of all ages from all walks of life. When the use of chemical substances/narcotics becomes a compulsion that negatively affects every aspect of your life, you need to seek help. Side-effects of drugs, like diminished health, loss of employment, estrangement of loved ones and mental and physical disorders are inevitable when drug rehabilitation is not initiated. The most commonly abused drugs are heroin, cocaine, crack cocaine, CAT, tik, GHB, ecstasy, LSD, marijuana and prescription medication.
- Am I a drug addict?
- When the use of narcotics or substances that alter your state of being becomes a compulsion, unstoppable and debilitating, you have a drug abuse problem. Nobody sets out to become an addict. However the recreational drugs you once used to minimise emotional or physical pain will begin to severely impact your brain chemistry. This creates a physical need to use continually in order to maintain what your brain and body have come to accept as ‘normal.’ This is drug addiction. If you plan your life around your next score or fix, if your work or studies are being affected, if your relationships are under severe strain or falling apart and if your mental and physical health are poorly – you may have a substance abuse problem and need to seek help. Contact us if you are unsure.
- Side-effects of drug abuse
- The physical side-effects drug abusers experience differs from substance to substance. While cocaine addiction leads to a plethora of side-effects including aggressive behaviour and nasal passage damage, Kat addiction has its own list of unpleasant side-effects. Tik addicts have a different set of symptoms to heroin users and prescription medication addicts. The common thread is severely diminished health (both mental and physical), job loss, the estrangement of loved ones and, if left untreated, it can result in death.
Drug Rehabilitation & Recovery
The idea of overcoming drug addiction may seem overwhelming, but recovery is possible at Crossroads Recovery Centre.
Addiction Rehabilitation &
Treatment is a Phone Call Away
The road to recovery is not always an easy one but getting yourself or your loved one the best care from the team at Crossroads Recovery Centres provides you with a map to sober, healthy living. No matter how bad things seem, there is hope and it’s just a phone call away.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more
Approved Medical Aids
Types of Addictions
Is drug addiction controlling your life?
Do you have a problem with alcohol?
Is sex addiction controlling your life?
Is your urge to gamble controlling your life?
Is food your crutch?