Is Crystal Meth popular in South Africa
Crystal Meth is a drug that is highly addictive and can cause serious health problems. It is also known as meth, ice, and tik. In recent years the drug has gained popularity in South Africa and as a result can be found almost everywhere, from the cities, informal settlements to the rural area. The main reason for its popularity is the intensity of the high and the low cost you can get it for.
Crystal Meth is a stimulant that that affects the central nervous system, it can be smoke using a glass pipe called a “lolly”, it can be snorted and injected intravenously. Crystal Meth produces a long lasting intense euphoric high, the user feels a sense of heightened confidence and energy levels. When it is used a rush of dopamine is sent to the part of the brain that regulates the feelings of pleasure. As a result Crystal Meth is highly addictive and addiction can manifest from the first hit.
For many users of Crystal Meth, there is a belief that the drug assists with productivity and the ability to cope and function facing life. The stark reality is that Crystal Meth is a hinderance in the ability to face life and take responsibility, it produces feelings of confusion, the inability to focus and complete tasks coupled with heightened paranoia and high possibility of psychosis.
Some of the signs of Meth use are:
- Irregular sleep patterns
- Mood swings
- Aggressive or violent behaviour
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Dilated pupil’s
- Erratic and risky behaviour
- Borrowing money, selling possessions
- Deterioration in physical appearance, sores on the skin, tooth decay
Crystal Meth can have serious effects on the body and the mind. A common consequence of continued use is Meth induced psychosis. This is a complete disconnect from reality, whatever the user is experiencing is real to them and when in this state almost know way of getting them to see their truth.
Signs of Meth induced psychosis include:
- Extreme paranoia
- Belief that others or something is out to get them
- Strange or unusual beliefs
- Visual and auditory hallucination
As devastating as the consequences of Meth Addiction are, it still offers many people an escape from their current reality. It numbs and blocks you from facing your truth. What started off as something to use when going out with friends, turns into a solution to facing the harsh realities of life. This could be the reason for the popularity of Crystal Meth in South Africa. Facing the harsh socio-economic challenges of trying to survive in this country.
Contact Crossroads Recovery Centre for help with Crystal Meth addiction.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more