What are the main differences between inpatient and outpatient rehab?
Inpatient and Outpatient Rehab
Treatment facility programs generally fall into 1 of 2 categories; inpatient or outpatient. While both are equally focused on rehabilitation, each type has specific features and benefits to offer. Inpatient treatment programs are intensive and are designed to treat serious substance use disorders and addictions.
Outpatient treatment on the other hand are part-time programs that allow for some level of flexibility so a patient can attend treatment without missing work or school responsibilities.
Take the First Step to Recovery
Ready to begin your journey to recovery? Contact our Johannesburg and Pretoria centres today, and take the first step towards a healthier, substance-free life. Your brighter future awaits
Contact Our Johannesburg and Pretoria Centres Today
Detox and Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
When a physical dependency is not being fulfilled, the affected person undergoes withdrawal. Withdrawal is particularly severe for heavy users, and for users of alcohol, heroin, and benzos. This severity is dangerous not only to a person’s health, but to their recovery.
If a person undergoes withdrawal but has access to their substance of choice, the urge to relapse will be very strong. Withdrawal is the first, and perhaps the most difficult, block to your recovery.
Because withdrawal symptoms are so severe, doctors strongly recommend against going through withdrawal alone. Instead, doctors recommend that patients seek detox treatment at an inpatient treatment facility.
Detox is normally only offered in inpatient facilities because of the worry that withdrawal symptoms could harm patients once they leave an outpatient program for the day.
Inpatient Rehab Features
While inpatient programs can vary between facilities, many have some similar features, including:
- An average length of 28 days
- Individual, group and family therapy
- Medication management, if deemed clinically necessary
- Care for co-occurring mental health conditions
- Participation in 12 step fellowships
- Medically supervised detoxification period
Features of Outpatient Rehab
Like inpatient programs, the programs used during outpatient treatment can vary widely between facilities. However, most outpatient services include most or some of the following features:
- An average length of 28 days
- Individual therapy
- Referrals for medication management
- Participation in 12 step fellowship meetings
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more