Gambling Addiction – you too can Recover!
A plethora of people are under the illusion that, only alcohol or drug addictions need rehabilitation or interventions. GAMBLING addiction stimulates the brain’s reward system, consequently giving you the urge to indefatigably gamble, regardless of the toll it takes on your life and those around you. If you have a problem with gambling which is affecting your work and life, famly and finances – perhaps you are in need of a primary care facility,
Recently, globally, we may face an economic resurgence and gambling is very likely to surge as well. However, there is no harm in growing your money, but there is harm in being addicted to the idea of growing your wealth with compulsion and constant risk and a desire for instant rewards and returns. Compulsive gambling, is classified as a psychiatric disorder, as the symptoms and signs are directly identical to those of other addictions, namely drugs or alcohol.
The following are some common symptoms of a gambling disorder:
- Needing to gamble with increasing amounts to get the same excitement
The expression, “Winners do not know when to stop “ emanates from this symptom. This is a dangerous situation in which to find yourself and may easily result in a spiral of loss.
A gambling addiction does not only cause psychological problems, but it is also may trigger existing psychological problems. Yes, there are people who gamble to avert depression , stress, or any other socioeconomic conundrum. Biological, genetic and environmental factors may also be added to a gamblers make-up.
Although there are no ways to prevent gambling problems, there are educational programmes and support groups that may be helpful , which are available in or via rehabilitation centres. Interestingly , you can have yourself BANNED from a casino at your own request but in reality a pointless exercise that in no way assists the gambler from ceasing to gamble as he or she may merely go elsewhere or gamble online. Whether you bet online or at a casino, a gambling addiction can strain your relationships , interfere with your work , and lead to financial disaster. That is why you should feed your gambling addiction – REHAB!!
If you or a loved one are battling a gambling addiction and are in search of rehabilitation from gambling – know that help is readily available. The road to recovery is not always an easy one but getting yourself or your loved one the best care from the team at Crossroads Recovery Centre, Johannesburg, provides you with a map to sober, healthy living. No matter how bad things seem, there is hope and it’s just a phone call away. If you or anyone close to you needs help with an addiction to sex, gambling, substances, alcohol or food, please contact us for a free assessment.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more