5 Reasons to get help for Substance abuse in Johannesburg
No one really wants to go to rehab. For many addicts and families, “rehab” is a scary thought. The word itself carries an overwhelming stigma, and the idea of actually going away to rehab can be equally overwhelming. For those battling substance abuse in Johannesburg or elsewhere, going to rehab means leaving the comforts of home, and leaving the familiarity of drugs and alcohol as coping mechanisms, in order to get sober. It means asking for help. Most of all, it means change – changing habits, behaviours, maybe even hobbies and groups of friends. These issues can block you off from seeking the appropriate help for you addiction. Here are 5 reasons why you should seek help for substance abuse in Johannesburg, or elsewhere for that matter, regardless of the fears that might be holding you back.
- One of the biggest reasons to consider going to rehab is that quitting drugs or alcohol on your own can be extremely dangerous. People who are uneducated about addiction may think all you have to do is decide to quit. But if you have been abusing drugs or alcohol for any length of time, it’s not that simple. Once you are physically addicted, withdrawal from alcohol and certain drugs is extremely unpleasant and may even cause a medical emergency. Rehabilitation centres such as Crossroads have a medical team that ensure safe and comfortable detox.
2. A professional rehab program isn’t just about getting clean and sober – it’s about learning how to live without drugs and alcohol. You will learn how to cope with difficult situations and maintain abstinence. You will learn how to set goals for yourself, and reach them. You will learn how to maintain a healthy and happy lifestyle, and to make positive changes in your life. You will also learn who you are without drugs and alcohol, and learn to be comfortable with yourself.
3. At Crossroads Recovery Centre your treatment plan is designed to help you get better, and part of that includes developing healthy habits for your overall well-being. Adding structure to your life, such as set times for eating, sleeping, and recreation, will help you leave the habits of your addiction in the past. Rehab is a safe, stable, and supportive environment with the sole purpose of helping people get better.
4. Going to rehab should always be for personal growth, but there is another benefit, it helps those in recovery rebuild burned bridges, and re-establish relationships that their addiction had torn apart. During your drug-using days, you may have lied to your loved ones, taken money from your parents, or hurt someone very close to you. While these wounds take time to heal, a drug treatment program can give you a clearer perspective on the detriment your addiction once caused. You can then address those in your life that you hurt, and start to rebuild their trust. Family support and counseling is an integral part of the treatment process.
5. As much as you feel like you are the only one going through this right now, you are not alone, and in a rehab program, you find others walking in similar shoes, on the road to recovery. Rehab is a collaborative effort between not just you and the treatment team, but also you and your fellow housemates. There will be many chances to meet other people who are working through similar challenges, whether it’s in group therapy, on organized activities, or during 12 step meetings. These social connections can be a great source of encouragement and support both during and after rehab.
If you or a loved one are battling an addiction and are in search of rehabilitation from substance abuse in Johannesburg- know that help is readily available. The road to recovery is not always an easy one but getting yourself or your loved one the best care from the team at Crossroads Recovery Centre, Johannesburg, provides you with a map to sober, healthy living. No matter how bad things seem, there is hope and it’s just a phone call away. If you or anyone close to you needs help with an addiction to sex, gambling, substances, alcohol or food, please contact us for a free assessment.
Stories of Recovery
- The encouragement, love and support from the team at Crossroads allowed me to eventually see that I was worth something - that my life could be turned around and that I could accomplish the things that had long been a forgotten dream.Oliver VGRead more
- On the last day of my stint at Crossroads I could only express gratitude towards all who works there. A wise councillor once commented on my question when one is ready for rehab by explaining that when one is ready for rehab, rehab is ready for you.Johan BRead more
- I was lost and my soul was broken until I ended up at Crossroads and was introduced to the Twelve Steps. With the help of their excellent staff and amazing support I have recently been clean for 18 months, I could not have done it without them!Carla SRead more
- "Just for today I am more than three years in recovery. I have Cross Roads to thank for this wonderful gift. Cross Roads helped me to set a firm foundation in my recovery on which I can continue to build."Angelique JRead more